Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Getting things done.

I was productive this evening.

I washed dishes. I made some chow mein (OK, it was from Trader Joe's). Rhonda had tap class, and while she was out, I knocked four things off my seemingly endless to-do list.

  1. I reattached the mirror to the closet door that fell off earlier this year.
  2. I reattached the plastic bag holder to the door under the kitchen sink. The double-sided foam tape wouldn't hold it, so I busted out the Ryobi and put it some screws.
  3. I wrapped the water heater with one of those insulated blankets that I bought two weeks ago.
  4. I made ice.

Yes, something as simple as making ice, one of those things I always remember while I'm out but instantly forget about, filled me with smug satisfaction. As it is, there's an intangible manliness about home improvement tasks, no matter how mundane. Especially when power tools are involved. But I think it's part of my personality type to take great joy in beginning projects and finishing tasks. Too bad all the actual work comes in between.

But never mind that for now, I'm going to sleep easy tonight knowing if I want to drink something cold even though it's sixty degrees out, I can. Hopefully the mirror won't fall off the closet door to disturb that slumber.

No comments: