Thursday, August 18, 2005

Fun @ Sun

I'm tired, tired, tired of miscommunication. Somebody decides we need a database refresh, fine. But I could've been told all the tables in all the schemas, not just those being refreshed, were going to get plowed over. That would've saved me the trouble of waking up early Tuesday and working two hours from home before business hours on said tables. Now I have to recreate those tables, and the data in them. Four hours of my life, wasted. Miscommunication just plagues our relationship with IT, and outsourcing and Sarbanes-Oxley have just amplified the problems.

Besides that unsettling news, I got copied on an e-mail from my manager regarding some complaints about our service. Why is it some people are just complete and utter dicks? One colleague, who shall remain nameless, has done nothing but bitch and moan about my project since he came into the picture. This individual is a very bright person I'm sure, but instead of making actual contributions to the project, has used his energy to deride and insult this team and anyone associated with them in his usual smug and sanctimonious manner. Heaven forbid this person should ever make an error in judgment - which he has, instead splitting hairs with laser-like precision in order to avoid the semblance of fallibility.

There's another contributor to the program who has been antagonistic with our team in the past, but at least her venom has had some reason behind it, and I think she has made actual effort to improve our application. Whereas this other individual just seems out to run us into the ground, or at least take a few shots at us to bolster his ego.

I'll be the first to admit service has been a nightmare (can you say, "outsourcing"?) but these people are doing their best (at least, as best as they can do as contractors, since they have neither familiarity with our business processes nor incentive to help Sun as a whole). They have shown improvement. But it's not their responsibility to correct or validate data if the morons who filed service tickets can't do it correctly. Said morons are employees, they should be able to file a ticket without f'ing it up.

I love working at Sun, but right now I just want to go home.

No comments: