Friday, December 05, 2008

When the Twit Hits the Fan.

It was brought to my attention today that I'm too contradictory on Twitter in my replies to people. I think it's something that should be addressed. Making people feel uncomfortable about twittering or because of one of my tweets is bad. If that's the case, I apologize because I'm not trying to do that. I'm interested in what my friends have to say, which is the whole point of replying to them.

There are a couple of problems. One is that you can't relay tone very well through written communication. So I'd imagine sometimes things I type that I think are funny or playful come across as arrogant or condescending. I don't really know what to do about that - it just comes with the territory. It isn't intentional.

More often than not, I think I come across like I always have to be right, or like I'm argumentative. This is often true, I'll admit. But most of the time I like to play Devil's advocate or offer contrary ideas. It doesn't mean I am arguing vehemently for my opinion or crapping all over your opinion. I'm just doing it for the sake of conversation, and I don't know I've ticked anyone off until after the fact.

I thought having a dialogue was part of the point of Twitter, or of basic interaction with others, for that matter. If we all have the same opinions, it makes the world a pretty boring place. I'm not asking to be excused for being a dick, I'm saying I'm not trying to be one in the first place.

So in the future, I will try to be a little more aware of what I write and more selective in what I reply to. I just wanted to clear the air and explain myself, and explain where I'm coming from. (Trust me, if I fundamentally disagree with what you have to say, I will make that abundantly clear.) But I do feel I have something to contribute, or else I wouldn't use Twitter in the first place (or blog, for that matter).

No comments: