Friday, December 05, 2008

I've Got So Much Trouble On My Mind...

Look, today was not a good day.

I don't write much about my job, mostly because I am worried about getting sued out of existence. It's just not the smartest thing to do, even though I love my employer and (for the most part) my job. I certainly love having one.

My company will soon be laying off 5,000-6,000 employees, somewhere between 15 and 20 percent of its worldwide workforce. Our stock price is down over 90% over the last 6 years. So I won't be blowing any trade secrets or violating my NDA by saying morale is low. I have done, I think, a pretty good job of plowing ahead and staying the course given the uncertainty. But today was not one of my best in the morale department.

I also had a half-hour conversation with my wife about a meeting she had at work. I don't have too any details except Governor Schwarzenegger has proposed cutting 7.2 billion dollars from the education budget. Yes, 'billion'. With a 'b'. Like that will improve our craptastic schools.

As a first-year teacher in a new district, she is understandably spooked. That news is on top of the extreme (I would say excessive) amount of work and level of stress this job has brought on for both of us. And on top of all that it is *still* better than if she was at her old job.

She isn't home yet. I haven't decided if we should go out somewhere in a feeble attempt to forget about our problems, or stay home and brood. I vote for brooding. This year cannot end soon enough. Now excuse me while I go look for something to punch or break.

No comments: