Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Color plus size minus love over dream...plus spirit

Katamari Damacy
It's getting late and I gotta run, but I wanted to say something about Me & My Katamari for the PSP.

This was my first exposure to Katamari Damacy, and I loved it. It made me want to get a PS2 and get the first two games, that's how much fun it was. The gameplay is fun, but it's the flat-out insanity of the game that is really endearing. If I wasn't so into Japanese culture, I don't know if I would enjoy it as much. But rolling over stuff like takoyaki, schoolchildren, giant robots, and Queen Natasha, Queen of the Penguins just brought a smile to my face. The music is infectious (at least, if you like J-pop). On the way to San Francisco we actually hooked the PSP to the FM modulator to listen to the game music (and the screams of panicking civilians) in the car. It sounds disturbing, but it's not, it's hilarious.

My only complaints are it's too short (and while there are lots of items to collect, the environments get repetitive fast) and this is THE hand-cramp game. The PSP is not exactly ergonomic to begin with, and this game will have you icing down your left thumb if you play it for too long. I haven't played it on the PS2, so I can't compare, but I doubt it's as much of a problem.

Recommended.

No comments: