Saturday, June 24, 2006

Home Sweat Home

It's been an interesting week, layoff rumors aside. Rhonda has been pressing to get a gym membership and on Sunday, I finally caved. We are now members at Right Stuff, about a mile away on Blossom Hill and Kooser. Rhonda gets to work out with her friends/ex-co-workers, so she is happy.

I surprised her, not only by signing her up, but myself as well. I figure the financial cost is motivation enough to keep myself going, since I need to lower my cholesterol and drop about 25 or 30 pounds. It also keeps us out of more costly places, like malls and bookstores.

I've already been 3 times this week, not bad since I didn't go until Wednesday. Rhonda went a bunch of times as well. On top of that, we went swimming at Becky's pool Thursday night (the only night since Wednesday I skipped the gym), and got a visit from the overheated Shaw family Friday, leading to our first trip to the community pool (on our 360th day here).

I am pretty psyched I had already lost about five pounds last Wednesday - I haven't weighed myself in a couple months because there were magazines piled on the bathroom scale. For about a month we have been eating a lot more salads and fruit, and I stopped buying cookies and crap. I figure with our short-term financial future a bit cloudy, it made sense to fill up on salad (cheap) and try to stretch the main courses (expensive) into more leftovers. Seems to be working, as I found out I didn't really need two chicken breasts to get full at dinner.

So things are on the upswing healthwise. I even thought about buying some Pocari Sweat at Mitsuwa today. Now I should be able to go to Anime Expo next week without having a coronary.

No comments: