Monday, February 14, 2005

V-Day post-game show

Good first-Valentine's-Day-as-husband-and-wife tonight.

The potential was there for disaster though. I came back from lunch, where I picked out a card and bought movie tickets for the 5:45 show of Million Dollar Baby, and got a phone call from my co-worker Brian.

CC: I just got back from picking up tickets for Million Dollar Baby.
BC: I saw it, it's really good.
CC: Yeah, it was between that and Sideways. I hope it's not going to be depressing.
BC: Haven't you read the reviews?
CC: No, I've been trying to avoid them. I didn't want to ruin it.
BC: Well, my wife cried. I'll ask you what you thought about it tomorrow.


So I was a little worried it was going to be like taking your wife to see Schindler's List or Platoon on Valentine's Day. But it wasn't that bad, although I think we might've had the only two pairs of dry eyes in the house.

It's a great, great movie. Not like there are lots of them, but this is probably hands-down the best movie about women's sports I've seen. As much as I liked Love & Basketball, comparing that film to M$B is like comparing a Miller Lite to Grey Goose Vodka. It's good for what it is, but not comparable.

I think it's Eastwood's best directorial effort to date. Yes, better than Unforgiven. I think it's also his best performance. Clint usually seems like he's playing the same guy in every movie, but in this one he shows he's really grown as an actor.

After the film we had dinner at A'Bellagio in downtown Campbell. We had heard good things from Marv and I decided to take a chance on it. It paid off pretty well, as dinner was damn good. You want the gnocchi al Gorgonzola, it's fantastic.

Bonds ASU jerseyRhonda was also tickled pink with her gift, tickets to see Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood from Whose Line Is It Anyway? (her favorite show that doesn't have Galaxy-class starships in it). I told her that I was happy with the U2 tickets I bought myself, but she bought me a Barry Bonds ASU throwback jersey.

Happy Valentine's Day, indeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

surely your throwback jersey came with a tube of "clear" and assorted other steroids - expect that the next time we see you, your fastball will be up to 95mph, powered by newly acquired physique that you developed just through weight training, and you'll be the giants latest answer to a closer - of course, all your records will have to asterisked!!!