Monday, February 28, 2005

Putting Monday to bed

Watched the Oscars last night and read the WWW today. I'm pretty amused on how sharply divided people are over Chris Rock. Rhonda and I re-watched the monologue after work, and I think my opinion is about the same. It's like when your kid doesn't study for a test and gets a B - a B is good, but you know he could've done better. Too much hit-and-miss, maybe he was nervous. I hope they give him another shot at hosting, but I have a feeling he'll be blamed for the ratings decline and they'll do something boring next year like bring back Billy Crystal. All I know is I thought this year's show was good, but Rhonda enjoyed it much more than other years, all because of Rock.

Sean Penn has no sense of humor. On the other hand, Tim Robbins does, he came out laughing when Rock made a crack about his boring politics. And Johnny Depp obviously has a sense of humor to go out in public looking like that.

As does Halle Berry, who accepted her Razzie in person. I have a lot more respect for her, for taking her lumps like a good sport.

I never thought I could have too much Beyonce, but I was wrong. Good thing I have TiVo, because nothing says "hand me the remote" like Beyonce with Josh Groban. I would've paid good money to see Jay-Z "go Source Awards" (aka "go Artest") on Josh Groban.

Getting into things more masculine, a good article on the Alex Smith versus Aaron Rodgers debate. I won't pretend to be impartial. Also, Len Pasquarelli reports Aaron ran a 4.80 and 4.71 40 at the combine last weekend. Faster than Clarett. J.J. Arrington evidently impressed a lot of people as well, and I'm holding out hope for the Niners taking Rodgers with the #1 and Arrington with the first pick of Round Two, but I'm not holding my breath (and that would not address the team's multitude of problems).

Can you believe these greedy bastards? I almost hope they do it, just so the masses will say "to hell with it" and start downloading illegally en masse. Meanwhile, the compact disc is twenty-year old technology, and the prices are the same they were then, if not higher.
"I think whoever came up with this idea understands the online music industry about as well as a cow understands algebra," said Phil Leigh, senior analyst for Inside Digital Media.

Lastly, Rhonda is blogging over at MySpace. Go check her out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, we liked billy crystal - would love to see him back as oscar host...

Chris said...

i did too, but not year after year...he was like athlete's foot, he wouldn't go away. I thought he was mailing it in after a while.

We watched the IFC Spirit Awards, and they're so much more entertaining, it's not even funny. The Oscars take themselves much, much too seriously.