Sunday, February 13, 2005

Typical guy...

Man, I'm a man. Valentine's Day is tomorrow, and while I had the main gift nailed long ago, I still need to battle the hordes of males tomorrow who still need to get a card and candy. At least I never have to worry about flowers because Rhonda has terrible allergies.

All I did today was clean, clean, clean. I shredded a stack of old documents two or three feet high, enough so I had three garbage bags of graffiti to dump. I also vacuumed and went through all our books and picked out some stuff to sell on Amazon Marketplace or Half.com, mostly manga and comics. I'll post a list at some point in case anyone wants something to read.

Saturday was rough. First off, I blew it and slept in because I was playing video games all night. I dragged my lazy butt out of bed and we headed to the Giants FanFest at Pier 48 next to Pac Bell Park. It was pretty cool, but we were just way too late to get autographs - there was a line from the pier down the street to get tickets, then more lines inside - but we milled around inside and took some pictures. It's a pretty cool event and there's lots to see and do.



Here's the entrance, a mock-up of the outfield archways. Cool.



Last year's #1 draft pick, David Aardsma, pitches some wiffle balls to the kids.



Here's me throwing off a mound, I hit 48 on the radar gun. Yeah, I know that sucks, but I haven't played ball in ten years and lots of other guys who followed were a lot wussier, so I didn't feel too bad. And yes, that is my Yomiuri Giants jersey.

(I think I hurt my back.)



No offense to Jason Christiansen, but I wouldn't be waiting in line to get his autograph, not with Willie Mac on his right and the skipper on his left.



The Big Kahuna, Jon Miller, chatting with Rick Barry.



"Junk Car Vida" Blue and Dave Righetti.

Since we weren't waiting hours for autographs, we headed to Japantown for the book signing. But it was almost two and we were starving, so we ate first. After polishing off some katsu, we headed for Super 7 on Post Street across from the Miyako Hotel. It's a cool store - they carry a lot of stuff that was cool in Japan before Japan was cool. Think Go Nagai and lots of Godzilla.
cover
We met Patrick Macias (from Sacramento, but evidently of no relation) and picked up his book, Cruising the Anime City. It's pretty cool and contains lots of maps that will tell you where to score anime, manga, toys, cosplay, models, and so on in various parts of Tokyo (although you'll want Kodansha's Tokyo City Atlas if you're planning to go. I told him I wished his book had been out in September when we were there for our honeymoon. He was a cool guy, even if his handwriting is on the messy side:




After the signing we went shopping in the Japan Center and bought some snackage at the grocery store. I was a little disappointed the AMC Kabuki was showing neither Million Dollar Baby nor Sideways, so we skipped a planned movie. By the end of the day I was exhausted and we made our way back to the South Bay.




Rhonda was pretty beat too, as you can see.

No comments: