Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Wong Kar-Wai's 2046

I stumbled across this review of 2046 and critique of Wong Kar-Wai's films while reading Greencine Daily. It's a good read if you are a fan of Wong's or even if you've never heard of him.

I saw Chungking Express on a big screen in Film 50 class at UC Berkeley's Pacific Film Archive, and it is one of only two movies I can remember where I sat speechless in my seat as the credits rolled (the other being Pulp Fiction). I was coming off a break-up; my first significant break-up with my first real girlfriend; and the movie's theme of love lost-and-found-again and the stunning visuals really left a mark on me. That, and I thought to myself, geez, I hope I am not this pathetic. I need to get on with my life. It's still a sentimental favorite and I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Since then, I've followed WKW's career with much interest. Recently, a box set of Wong's films was released and, naturally, I snapped that one up. It's got a couple of films I haven't seen but have heard much about, Days of Being Wild and As Tears Go By. I just got it this week and as soon as I make time to see them, I'll post a review.

I saw a billboard for 2046 in Shinjuku and I had a fanboy moment right there on the street. Can't wait for a domestic theatrical or DVD release.

Go see Chungking Express. Fallen Angels is good in a cynical way; slick and polished and devoid of emotion, it's the anti-CKE. In the Mood For Love has amazing performances from Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung (Broken Sword and Flying Snow in Hero, respectively) and is a must-see. Go see them all.

No comments: