Monday, January 18, 2010

Up In The Air

Ahh, where to begin?

Nine months since my last post. Tsk tsk. In my defense, it's been a busy and exciting nine months; sometimes harrowing, sometimes jubilant, not devoid of dull moments, but it probably could have used some more.

Did we make it to Japan? Yes. Was it an incredible, life-altering experience? Yes. Can we wait to go back? Not really. We are already backing off our "this may be the last time we go for a while, so let's make it last" stance, to one of "maybe shorter trips more frequently will scratch the itch." I hope to fill in my blog with tales of our Japan trip, possibly in LOST-style flashbacks. And, hopefully, flash-forwards.

Did IBM buy Sun? Of course, we know the answer to that is no. But Oracle did, and with that news came drama on a colossal scale. I don't like to blog much about business, since I like my job and wouldn't like to lose it (and I really don't consider it very professional). That said, my involvement in Oracle-Sun integration has really dominated the past four months or so. It has kept me busy, busy, busy, and made me glad I didn't decide to ditch my landline to go cellular only. I'm doing more work than ever (for the same pay, I should add), and I've moved to a new group. It's been very challenging.

Which leads to current events. I am typing this from 35,000 feet on a Lufthansa 747 over Calgary, on my way to Prague via Frankfurt. How I ended up on this plane, I'm still not entirely sure. But when you have a chance to travel on business to a faraway land, when you've been with a company for a decade and only traveled to Colorado once, that's tough to pass up.

I'm not sure if this will be my last hurrah. Rumor has it that by the time I land on American soil next Saturday, there may not even be a Sun. I may not even have a job by then, and if I do, who knows where it will be doing what.

It's going to be a very interesting week.

No comments: