Friday, January 29, 2010

Closure

I have yet to sign anything. But I've received an offer of employment from Oracle. That I'll accept.

I'd like to say I headed into this with a zen-like calmness. That was definitely true over the past few months, when we were waiting for EU approval. But once that came and it turned into a waiting game, I was getting a little antsy. And while I'd resigned myself that my fate had been long ago decided and was out of my hands, it doesn't stop you from wondering how you will pay for your mortgage with two unemployment checks.

It's always a little weird to survive a layoff, as there's definitely a measure of survivor guilt. People sometimes say, "Congratulations," but it doesn't seem right. I mean, you don't tell that to someone who survived a plane crash. I will, however, accept, "I was praying for you," "I'm glad you made it," or, as my sister put it, "I'm so relieved for you."

So finally, I have some closure. Time to take a deep breath, and plow ahead.

No comments: