Thursday, July 17, 2008

Day 6: I Get Around

Haven't checked in for a while, so I decided to give a status report. It's been almost a week since my microdiscectomy, and so far, so good.

I have been taking a walk every morning (two, yesterday - I was bored) and increasing the distance by a couple of blocks every day. The goal is for me to walk to the Hillsdale Starbucks tomorrow morning and have Rhonda meet me there in the car for breakfast, then ride back home. That will be the first meal I eat away from home since last week.

I went off the Vicodin Saturday night, less than 48 hours after surgery. Currently I am taking both Advil and Tylenol. Aleve wasn't doing much for me since you can only take it every 8 hours, although maybe I will switch back now that the pain has diminished. Other than that, lots of ice, especially right after I talk a walk.

I feel pretty good, although I have to say psychologically it's tough when everyone treats you like an invalid. Still can't (and shouldn't) left more than five pounds, bend over, or twist, so to some extent that's true. I've been kind of irritable as a result. Owe my wife huge.

Finally got to take a shower Monday. I had really been taking the ability to shower for granted.

Still haven't watched Battlestar. Maybe tonight since there is no Giants game.

No comments: