Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Out of shape

I'm trying to get a benchmark of my admittedly sorry physical condition, so I signed up for a physical assessment at the fitness center at work (Sun rules!). I went in this morning and they put me through the gauntlet. And I've been sore ever since.

I found out my blood pressure is still good (about the only thing I have going for me), I can still do 22 push-ups even though I haven't done one in years and I weigh almost 200 pounds, my hamstrings are more flexible than I thought (given the tightness in them has contributed to numerous leg and back ailments), and stepping up and down one of those goofy plastic steps for three minutes is no laughing matter when you've been sitting on the couch as long as I have.

At least I found out my new shoes (Nike Impax 45s, black/yellow) are pretty good, considering Nikes run narrow for my wide-ass feet, and the orthotics in my shoes are old and compacted.

Now all I have to do is form some good habits to counteract all the bad ones. Of course, the first thing I ate after that workout was In-N-Out Burger, and the second thing was a pastrami sandwich. Gotta ease into healthiness, right? At least I bought some fruit at the store.

No comments: