Thursday, October 13, 2005

Holy Smurfing Smurf!

Smurfpocalypse Now!


Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Unicef bombs the Smurfs in fund-raising campaign for ex-child soldiers (Courtesy of The Beat)

Some of you out there know of my hatred of all things Smurf. Let's just say Halloween is ruined forever (or at least until drinking age) if you want to be G.I. Joe but end up as Generic Smurf. I didn't even like Smurfs to begin with, but when you're out there trying to get your candy on, and some adult answers a door and asks gruffly, "Aren't you a little old to be a Smurf?" - it's time to call it a night. But, as they say, I'm not sure I would wish this on my worst enemy.


"We wanted something that was real war - Smurfs losing arms, or a Smurf losing a head -but they said no."


I saw the slideshow with the audio and this is going to flat-out traumatize kids. The Smurfs never did much for me, but I guess if they bombed the crap out of Sesame Street, I'd be more shocked.


Gotta say though, the timing of this news being near Halloween and that whole Smurf episode I went through, it is pretty funny. It's probably a good thing Decapitated Smurf and Venus De Milo Smurf didn't make an appearance, because the unintentional comedy rating would've distracted people from the message. (It's bad enough that Smurf behind Baby Smurf is running around with his hat on fire.)

No comments: