Saturday, March 12, 2005

The List

Wow, Giants season tickets. One more life-long dream fulfilled.

coverMade me think of another life-long dream. My U2 tickets came in the mail a few weeks ago. Since I was maybe twelve, there have been three concerts I wanted to see in my lifetime: Michael Jackson, Prince, and U2. Since then, I've kinda soured on Michael. Prince lost me when he became "The Artist", and then launched his first tour in six years the year of my wedding, when I had no time to think about anything else (represented by a six-year low in number of Giants games attended). Unfortunately, Prince came to San Jose the same day as my friggin' bachelor party. So you can only imagine how psyched I am for U2, a concert that I have anticipated since The Joshua Tree became the greatest album ever recorded.

The list hasn't really grown. There were artists I added to the list but took right off, because you tend to see a lot more concerts when you have a job. Dre and Snoop, Pearl Jam, The Roots, Eminem (twice), OutKast (thrice), Janet Jackson (four times) - all since 1998 (except Janet Jackson, who I saw at Shoreline on the Rhythm Nation Tour when I was still young and impressionable). I even saw Ray Charles at the Fujitsu Jazz Festival, which I took Auntie Helen to back in 1999 when the Economy was still New and tech companies did things like give their employees free tickets to events they sponsored.

coverU2 is something else, though. Other than a brief lull after Achtung Baby and before All That You Can't Leave Behind, they've been remarkably solid over the last twenty-five years. In this day and ago of crappy music, that makes the quality of their music even that much more impressive.

It's going to be incredible. I can hardly wait.

No comments: