Monday, January 26, 2009

Chinese New Year Resolutions

Gung Hay Fat Choy, interwebs! The Year of the Ox is upon us.

I am running quite a bit behind, mostly due to mad stress and uncertainty over Sun's huge layoff. I basically tabled any life decisions until after January, and now that the immediate future is secure, it's time to get things in gear.

I wanted to make some New Year's resolutions, but I was too preoccupied. But I gave it a bit of thought, and ladies and gentlemen, I give you my Chinese New Year's Resolutions, better late than never:

  • Get healthy. - yes, I know I could not be more vague. I don't want to just say "lose weight" - what if I gain muscle? Essentially, these are the things I need to do: lower cholesterol. Eat better and avoid fast food. Make an exercise plan that I can stick to. Get my remaining nerve issues with my leg and foot resolved.
  • Retire to bedroom by 10:30 - I know what you're thinking. It's almost midnight. FAIL. No, I said bedroom, not bed. Currently Rhonda spends the first hour or so sleeping on the couch because I stubbornly refuse to go to bed. This isn't altogether fair. So the plan is to get some exercises and stretches down before bed, possibly get to sleep a little earlier, and ...
  • Read more - and not just comics and manga. Actual books with words. I have a lot of books I started and never finished, and quite a few more I have wanted to read but are just collecting dust on a shelf. and I have a library card.
  • Improve my Japanese - 2008 was a failure of epic proportions when it comes to my foreign language skills. I need to at least get to where I was two years ago. Goal is to take the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) this winter. Improved Japanese skills will come in handy when I ...
  • Get my ass to Japan - It's been five (!) years since our honeymoon in Japan. We have been planning to return for quite a while now, but our plans have been scuttled by the economy, looming layoffs, etcetera etcetera. I think this summer it can finally happen.

There it is; that's the list. I will be posting updates, at least partially as a motivational tool for myself. And since (C)NYR's are, well, pretty arbitrary, I reserve the right to add to the list as the year goes on.

Ganbarimasu!

No comments: