Friday, May 23, 2008

The fruits of my labor.

I just burned an entire afternoon and evening trying to get my home network file sharing working. Since I finally figured it out, I decided to post about what worked for me in the slight chance someone with the same problem will read this.

I have two Windows XP machines, a desktop and a laptop. They both connect to the Internet fine, and can ping each other. The problem was that the laptop could access the shares on the desktop, but the desktop could not access the shared resources on the laptop.

After many hours, I figured out the problem, at least for me. Here's the solution:

1) On each computer, click Start->Run, and enter "regedit".
2) Navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters.
3) See if there is a NodeType or DhcpNodeType parameter (for more info, see this site.

In my case, the desktop didn't have either parameter (the default is 1), but the laptop had DhcpNodeType = 8. To make them match, I deleted the DhcpNodeType value on the laptop.

4) Reboot the PC that you made the changes on.

Worked like a charm for me. As we learned on LOST a couple weeks ago, destiny is a fickle bitch, and apparently so is Windows networking.

No comments: