Thursday, November 04, 2004

Glimmer of Hope?

In the wake of what I can only describe as a devastating loss for the Democratic Party, I want to believe some of the things I've been hearing on TV and reading in the news. I hear Bush finally realizes how sharply divided America is, and will make some gestures to be more moderate in his policies. I want to believe that, but I'm not sure if he will do that, or even why, since his party controls all three branches of the government.

Bush's victory speech showed some surprising class - he didn't gloat, or go into any rah-rah, "we did it!" rhetoric. (A lot of Republicans could learn from that.) What he did say that caught my attention was, "To make this nation stronger and better, I will need your support and I will work to earn it. I will do all I can do to deserve your trust." We'll have to see if that's just talk or if Bush will make some actual overtures to the 47% of America that is completely pissed at him. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, since, well, I don't have a helluva lot of choice.

The AP is reporing John Ashcroft may be stepping down as Attorney General. That would be a start, as Ashcroft has the dubious honor of being my least favorite member of G Dub's Cabinet. If Bush gets rid of Rumsfeld and some of the other Cabinet members, he has a chance to hit the reset button and bridge the idealogical divide in this country that he helped create.

The cynic in me is ready for the worst though. I think the writing's on the wall that a few Supreme Court justices are going to retire before 2008, to be replaced with very conservative judges. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking that, since Arlen Specter is warning Bush not to appoint conservative judges in a bid to overturn Roe v. Wade. Also, I can't see why Bush should care about uniting the country when the Religious Right are the ones who got him elected, and you have to figure it's time to paqy the piper.

Rhonda's all ready to move us to Canada, but it looks like there's no room at the inn...

No comments: